28 December 2006

I really hate my Nikon Coolpix S9

Ok, I've given my new Nikon Coolpix S9 digital camera a month of constant use and I've decided that I really don't like it. I've had a lot of cameras over the past 20 years since I first began a career as a photojournalist. A Nikon fan since my first FM (which I still own and it still works), this model doesn't cut it.

Here's a picture shot in "Auto". It was the third in the sequence of six blurry shots.

Sad. That was a funny moment.

(If you have to know, my wife and I traded photos of our Christmas presents instead of the gifts because we were visiting in Alabama and traveling by air. I photographed and gave pictures of the wrapped gifts instead of the unwrapped gifts. After the laughter wore off, I gave her the pictures of the unwrapped presents.)

Here is a photo taken on "Auto" outside at about 3 p.m. in the afternoon. I was standing still. The little sailboat was moving, but not that much!

I'm going to keep the camera because it is very small - my top feature at the time I bought the camera - and based on confidence in my experience, in cases where I absolutely need a good photo, I'm pretty sure that I can adjust the settings and hold still enough to make a usable image. However, I wouldn't recommend this camera to anyone.

When I want a digital image and it counts, I'll stick to my Nikon D200 or my wife's old Canon Elph.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, we should compare point-and-shoots ... I get misses like that, but I've also gotten used to its settings, so I have fewer.

Anonymous said...

It's weird your having problems with your S9. I had a S5 and I was extremely happy with it ($240 from Wal-mart). It always took excellent pictures in very awkward and unplanned situations.

Bill Blevins said...

My parents like their Coolpix S7 but they did have one incident where they arrived in Paris in late November for vacation and after one picture, the battery died and wouldn't recharge. They couldn't find another replacement so they have one shot from the trip.