28 October 2006

VideoBlog software for OS X

One morning in late 2003 I walked in to the newsroom at Fredericksburg.com and said, "We need to use this iSight. Do something fun."

Brian Baer and Alex Russell recorded and posted "The Baer Facts" videoblog within hours. They continued on somewhat regularly and invited in guests to comment on sports, features and weather reports. Volunteers from the FUG community, ("FredTalk Users Group") were regulars on the show.

"The Baer Facts" was recorded on most mornings through early 2005. Someone decided that it was too much work and killed the idea. Today, the only remaining evidence I can find are a few videos which include a few classic outtakes.

We hacked together freeware for the recording and taped scripts to the side of the monitor. Just this week I was reminded of that show when I was pointed to a video recording program that would have been perfect.

If you are contemplating a simple videoblog, check out VideoCue 2 from Vara Software. There are two versions and prices. One comes with a full-screen teleprompter.

I'm downloading a copy now. I'll let you know how it goes. Next week I'm going to walk into my office and say, "We need to use this software for something".

1 comment:

Howard Owens said...

Ahead of its time ...